The main financial terms of the BSF research grants, both regular and start-up are as follows (for NSF-BSF programs please consult the relevant Call for Proposal):
- Maximum grant request for regular research grant is $200,000 for 4 years. Asking for shorter a period does not necessarily increase the size of the annual allocation.
- Start-up grants are limited to $75,000 over two years for each grantee (except a collaborating senior scientist, who is not entitled to receive support from the grant). Out of this sum, $60,000 will be paid by the BSF and $15,000 is a contribution of the grantee institution that constitute financial support that would not have been given to him otherwise).
- Size of the grant is determined by factors such as, research period, nature of the research (theoretical or experimental), and the number of PIs receiving support.
- BSF allows only 15% overhead to all grantee institutions.
- BSF does not allow any salary payment to a PI, including no summer salary.
- Support can be made available to either the Israeli or American PI, or to both. The distribution of support must reflect the division of research tasks. Generally, the BSF respects the distribution of support requested by the PIs.
It is mandatory that before submitting a grant the applicant will familiarize himself with all the BSF regulations and instructions (can be downloaded from here)